Thinking about fixing up your current home before you sell? If you’re considering buying a new College Station home, you might wonder which projects are worth the money – and inconvenience – and which are not.
Remodeling Magazine recently did a cost vs. value report on 21 remodeling projects to find out which projects retained the most value when a home is sold. These are their top six:
- Replacing the garage door. This is an improvement that will retain nearly its entire value when you sell. Consider installing a new four-section garage door with new heavy-duty galvanized steel tracks. Remodeling Magazine estimates the average cost of this renovation at about $2,500.
- Manufactured stone veneer. This is a more costly improvement, but you’ll recoup over 97% of your investment when you sell. This project involves removing the existing vinyl siding and replacing it with adhered manufactured stone veneer.
- Replace your front door. A new steel entry door can add to the curb appeal of your home, making it look more modern and welcoming. This is another fairly inexpensive project, averaging around $1,500.
- Add a deck. A 16 x 20 foot deck will cost you an average of almost $11,000, and you’ll get almost 83% of your investment back when you sell. Plus you’ll get to enjoy spending time outdoors until you’re ready to purchase a new home in College Station.
- Minor kitchen remodel. This is by far the most expensive project Remodeling Magazine recommends that you consider. For about $22,000 you can update the fronts of your cabinets, replace laminate countertops, install newer energy-efficient appliances, update the sink and faucet, freshen up the paint, and replace the flooring. If you decide to take on this type of renovation, you can expect it to retain about 81% of its value.
- New siding. Another project aimed at improving curb appeal, replacing 1,259 square feet of siding will set you back about $15,000 – including replacing the factory trim at the openings and corners.
In addition to the projects listed above, you may want to consider adding attic insulation. This is another fairly inexpensive upgrade that tends to hold on to its value.
Experts say that as a rule, if you plan to sell your home in 5 years or less, making some improvements is definitely worth the investment, and will help your home attract more potential buyers and sell more quickly.
When you’re ready to purchase a new home in Bryan-College Station, come see us at RNL Homes. See what our current customers have to say about us on houzz.com.